Recent graduate with a Molecular Microbiology Doctor Degree-seeking a position in academia, Bio and pharmaceutical company, business-focused team, healthcare system, or research centre that will provide further practical experience in Molecular and Microbiology field which will enhance my knowledge from my education and hands-on experience. Sinan is always competent and proficient whilst carrying out his duties, collaborative with his co-workers to meet the team’s objectives, diligent, conscientious, and never miss a deadline. Sinan is always solution-orientated whilst dealing with challenges and problems, a detail-oriented person who can be relied upon to adhere to all company procedures and policies. Sinan is also an enthusiastic and focused Molecular microbiologist who can carry out complex tests, design experiments, publish research papers, and design posters for scientific conferences, representing research work on posters at the global scientific conferences.
2020 Ph.D. in Molecular Microbiology
De Montfort University/Leicester/United Kingdom
Thesis title: ‘’Investigation of biofilm development by antibiotic-resistant urinary tract infection pathogens and evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of Manuka honey on Escherichia coli CTX-M-15 biofilms’’.
2007 M.Sc. in Biotechnology
College of Science/Al-Nahrain University/Baghdad/Iraq
Thesis title: ‘’Genetic study on the locally isolated Pseudomonas aeruginosa and its ability in lectin production’’.
2001 B.Sc. in Biotechnology
College of Science/Al-Nahrain University/Baghdad/Iraq.
1) Part-time lecturer at De Montfort University since Oct 2015 – Feb 2020
Laboratory assistant; lab work preparations, illustrations, supervision on undergraduate and Master students, and guiding students in laboratory experiments
2) Full-time Senior Call Centre Representative in the Customer Care Dept. at Zain telecommunication for mobile network services (formerly known Iraqna) /Baghdad/Iraq from Aug 2005 – Jul 2013.
Receiving calls from the mobile operator agents, managing their complaints, giving guidance related to SIM card services and any related customer service requirements.
3) Full-time Lecturer and lab assistant at University of Mustansiriyah/Baghdad/Iraq since Jul 2003 – Jul 2013.
Managing the educational laboratories for the subjects of food microbiology, industrial microbiology, soil microbiology, genetic engineering, and biotechnology
1) Samarasinghe, S., Durber, K., & Baho, S. (2020). The Efficacy of Antibiotics in the Treatment of Chlamydia Trachomatis Infections during Pregnancy. A Systematic Review and a Meta-analysis.
2) Samarasinghe, S., Baho, S., & Czapnik, P. (2019). Preliminary Analysis of the Anti-biofilm Efficacy of Manuka Honey on Extended Spectrum Β-lactamase Producing Escherichia Coli Tem-3 and Klebsiella Pneumoniae Shv18, Associated with Urinary Tract Infections.
3) Baho, S., & Samarasinghe, S. (2018). Multiple Sequence Alignment of NDM-1 DNA Sequence of Different Carbapenemase Producing Gram-Negatives. GSTF Journal of Nursing and Health Care (JNHC), 92-94.
4) Baho, S., Reid, R., and Samarasinghe, S. (2018). Adaptability to Various Growth Conditions of Biofilm Associated Extended-Spectrum-Beta-Lactamases Producing Bacteria. Journal of Infectious Diseases and Diagnosis, 3(1), 1-9.
5) Zaki, N. H., & Saeed, S. E. (2012). Production, purification, and characterization of extracellular lipase from Serratia marcescens and its potential activity for hydrolysis of edible oils. J Al-Nahrain Univ, 15, 94-102.
6) Al-Kareem, K. K., Sattar, B. A. A., & Saeed, S. E. (2012). Antifungal Activity of Diacetyl Compound against Candida Isolates in Vitro. journal of the college of basic education, 18(75).
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
v Good understanding of research methodologies and how to apply them to projects in a research laboratory
v Excellent oral & written communication and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate confidently and build strong networks across the organization
v Operating laboratory equipment with minimal supervision
v Knowledge of all relevant protocols and equipment
v Strong ability to balance multiple priorities with excellent time management skills
v In-depth experience of working with a variety of microorganisms
v Keeping up with the findings of other researchers and attending conferences
v Computer skills: Operating systems (Windows and macOS), Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel), Presentation software (PowerPoint), Communication and collaboration tools (Skype and MS Teams), Social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Linkedin), Data visualization (Excel), 2D graphing and statistics (GraphPad Prism).
v Laboratory techniques: PCR, qPCR, DNA extraction, RNA isolation, gel electrophoresis.
1) Member of British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (BSAC)
2) Fellow of Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS)
3) Member of American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
4) Member of Society for Applied Microbiology (spam)
5) Member of Microbiology Society
6) Member of the Phytochemical Society of Europe (PSE).
7) Member of The European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID).
v Participated in the preparation for the postgraduate research and writing conference at De Montfort University titled: Creative Connections, which was held on the 5th July 2016. Weblink: http://writingpad.our.dmu.ac.uk
v Presented a poster in the Postgraduate Research Student Conference held by the East Midlands Universities Association (EMUA) (1 September 2016). Loughborough University, UK.
v Presented a poster at the conference held by the Federation of Infection Societies (FIS) Annual Conference and the 10th Healthcare Infection Society (HIS) International Conference 6-8 November 2016. Edinburgh, UK.
v Presented two posters in the Postgraduate Poster Competition held at the University of Lincoln as part of the Lincoln Festival of Biology which was organized by the Royal Society of Biology on 2nd May 2017.
v Presented a poster at ASM Microbe on June 1-5, 2017 in New Orleans, LA
v Presented a poster at the PSE Young Scientists’ Meeting in Lille, France on 29 June 2017 sponsored by the Phytochemical Society of Europe.
v Presented a poster at the Antimicrobial Resistance Conference 2017 (Meeting the Challenge). 23-24 Nov 2017. Held at Charles Darwin House, London.
v Presented a poster at the Antimicrobial Resistance Conference 2018 (Looking beyond the microbiological). 14 Nov 2018. Held at Charles Darwin House, London.
v Presented a poster at the Early career researcher workshop on diagnostics for antimicrobial resistance. 20 Nov 2017. Burlington House, London
v Participated in the Lego serious play competition held by research degree students at De Montfort University on 28th Nov 2018 and was awarded the 2nd prize.
v Dr Shivanthi Samarasinghe
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester, LE1 9BH
Tel: +44 (0)116 207 8870
v Professor Dr Hameed M. Jasim
College of Applied Biotechnology
Al-Nahrain University, Baghdad, Iraq
Tel: +964 (0) 7901174876
v Dr Mohamad Al-Marjani
College of Science
University of Mustansiriyah, Baghdad, Iraq
Tel: +964 (0) 7901756021
v Zain Iraq
Bldg. 47, st. 14, Dist. 605
Hay Al Mutanabi, Al Mansoor
Baghdad – Iraq